Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Voice Typing in Google Docs


I’ll admit it. I am a terrible typist. I never took keyboarding (or typing as it was called in my day) in school. My wife taught keyboarding for years, and she now spends many days sighing and shaking her head at how I hunt and peck at the keyboard. The comforting thought is that I am not alone out there. There are many others (although they may be school students) who are also poor typists. Well, I have good news. Google to the rescue! If you are in a Google Document, typing can be as easy as talking! Check out Voice Typing!


Voice Typing in Google Docs


  1. Open or create a Google Doc.
  2. Click on the “Tools” tab and click on “Voice Typing”.





  1. On the left side you will see the icon to start dictation. Click on it.




  1. You may get the pop-up asking for the use of your microphone. Click “Allow”.





  1. Go ahead and start talking. Google will transcribe your text. Make sure to say punctuation marks and other characters.





  1. When you are done, click on the icon to disable.



This is a great addition to Google Documents. It works especially well for students with special needs, or just poor typers like me! The future is here! Give it a shot.


If you have trouble or need more help, check out the Google Voice Typing site. Happy Dictation!



If you want these directions in a Document, click Here!